Hottest Chicken Wings In The World

A second man has been hospitalised – and left unable to pee – after a failed bid to win £10 in a pub chicken wing challenge involving the ‘world’s hottest chilli’.

Ethan Rawlinson, 25, was rushed to North Stockton-on-Tees Hospital in County Durham after entering the new contest being staged at the town’s The George Pub and Grill.

Mr Rawlinson today told MailOnline he was left unable to walk and suffered swollen intestines, severe cramping, loss of stomach lining and still had a ‘constricted digestive track’.

‘I’m fine and out of hospital now but I can’t pee,’ he said.

ADVERTISING

‘When I pee, it hurts really badly.’

Ethan Rawlinson, 25, signs the legal disclaimer at The George Pub and Grill before beginning the spicy chicken wing challenge which left him hospitalised. The milk is placed nearby on the table, read to ease his pain
Mr Robinson, the second victim of the challenge, during happier times

Ethan Rawlinson, 25, (pictured left and right) signs the legal disclaimer at The George Pub and Grill before the spicy chicken wing challenge which left him hospitalised. The milk is placed nearby, ready to ease his pain

The case has emerged after fellow food challenge fan, Mark McNeil, 36, also ended up in hospital with a burnt stomach lining earlier this week.

The challenge, which involves signing a legal disclaimer, asks customers to eat 10 chicken wings covered in a sauce made from the Carolina Reaper Pepper – said to be the world’s hottest known chilli – before waiting 5 minutes until they consume a drink.

The prize is getting the £9.95 cost of the meal refunded.

But the mounting casualty list from the 10 willing contestants so far this week comes amid criticism on social media for wasting the time of medical staff.

The pub today defended the challenge insisting it was a bit of fun, though it flagged cutting the portion of wings to give customers a better chance at winning.

Mr Rawlinson, a personal trainer who said he loved attempting food challenges, said he had initially suffered severe cramping and was unable to stand when the pain kicked in on Thursday afternoon.

He said he had only eaten one wing ‘dripping with sauce’ but that the heat was not that bad at first.

‘I had ice cream and milk straight away,’ he told MailOnline.

‘But two hours later my stomach started cramping really bad. I was on my hands and knees. I couldn’t stand up. It felt like someone was stabbing me from the inside out.

‘I said to my friend I might have to ring an ambulance and he took me to the hospital. My stomach thought I’d been poisoned and it started to cramp.’

First victim Mark McNeil, 36, in happier times with a chilli outside The George Pub and Grill in Stockton-on-Tees

First victim Mark McNeil, 36, in happier times with a chilli outside The George Pub and Grill in Stockton-on-Tees

Mr McNeil had to go to hospital earlier this week after scoffing three chicken wings covered in sauce made from the world's hottest chilli at The George Pub and Grill in Stockton-on-Tees

Mr McNeil had to go to hospital earlier this week after scoffing three chicken wings covered in sauce made from the world’s hottest chilli at The George Pub and Grill in Stockton-on-Tees

Earlier in the week, Mr McNeil had been forced to bow out after three wings, sweating profusely, thinking he was going to die and believing the heat may be burning part of his stomach lining.

‘My legs were wobbling and the pain was just unreal. I thought ‘this is it’,’ he said.

‘I thought my time was up.”I feel better but I tried to get rid of some phlegm and coughed up blood so maybe it might have taken the lining off my stomach.

‘It was the worst pain I’ve ever experienced.’

The pub warned entrants in a disclaimer that the chilli was so hot they risked  ‘serious injury’.

‘After reading all of this I am still stupid enough to attempt it,’ the disclaimer reads before entrants sign.

The disclaimer for the challenge, outlining the rules and warning that the sauce can cause 'serious injury'

The disclaimer for the challenge, outlining the rules and warning that the sauce can cause ‘serious injury’

The hot sauce is made from the Carolina Reaper Pepper, the world’s hottest known chilli, Ghost Chilli and nine million Chilli extract.

The pub manager, Craig Harker, today said the contest would continue.

Mr Rawlinson, the second victim of the wing challenge, told his friends about his experience on social media site Facebook

Mr Rawlinson, the second victim of the wing challenge, told his friends about his experience on social media site Facebook

‘The most anyone has eaten is six,’ he told MailOnline.

‘The average number people do is two. I might look at lowering the limit. But we’re a food challenge pub. Normally it is large meals. But we keep getting asked to do a spicy challenge

‘I can only do a chicken korma so I left it to the chefs to come up with something.’

He said while there was a foolish element to the contest, competitive eating was like a sport.

‘Everybody is asking for it to keep going,’ he said.

However, the incident has attracted some negative responses from those in the town who made comments on Facebook about Mr McNeil ‘wasting NHS time’.

But Mr McNeil disagreed.

‘When you’re in that much pain, what else are you supposed to do?’ he said.

‘I felt much better the next day and only had a bit of an upset stomach.

‘I even had chilli for my dinner that night.’

Mr McNeil said that he was confident he would be able to complete the challenge as he regularly ate Vindaloos and chewed on chili as a snack.

But he had underestimated the Carolina Reaper Pepper, which rates between 1.5m and 2.2m on the Scoville heat unit scale.

He added: ‘I had to wear goggles and gloves and as soon as they put it down in front of me I could feel my eyes watering.

‘It didn’t scare me, I thought it would be alright.

‘But after the third wing the sweat was running off my face and the burning in my chest and stomach was unreal. I knew I had to stop.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *